Building & Supporting Young Progressive Catholic Community
CTA 20/30 is a network of young, progressive Catholics committed to working for justice in our church and world.
We are a diverse set of Catholics in our 20s and 30s: college students, young parents, vowed religious, married and single folks, LGBTQ and straight. Our Catholic practice varies too: some of us go to mass, others to intentional Eucharistic communities, or none of the above. Our common bond is our desire for joyful, inclusive Catholic spaces where all are welcome at the table – feminists, LGBTQ people, people of color, those who follow their consciences, and others who have too often felt marginalized in mainstream Catholic life. And we’re glad you’ve found us!
An elected leadership team organizes events and online offerings throughout the year for young progressive Catholics. Here are a few ways to get involved:
20/30 Leadership Team (now accepting applications!)
CTA 20/30 is an inclusive community of Catholics in our 20s and 30s who seek justice in the Catholic Church. We seek to deepen our faith, to integrate faith with action and, in so doing, to transform our church through a lens of anti-racism and anti-oppression principles.
The CTA 20/30 Leadership Team is responsible for developing and implementing the direction of CTA’s CTA 20/30 program. We are currently accepting candidate applications for two positions, each of a three-year term, which will open in February of 2015.
You are eligible to submit your application if you are a member of Call To Action and CTA 20/30. If you have not become a member, we encourage you to do so before you apply to be a candidate for the team. If you want to join Call To Action or 20/30, or are not sure whether you are a member, just email Ellen Euclide at firstname.lastname@example.org. Candidate forms will be accepted through December 14th, 2014.
Candidates will be reviewed by the leadership team to confirm eligibility. All eligible candidates will then be included in an online election process and all CTA/CTA 20/30 members are eligible to vote. Those who are elected will be notified in December 2014 for terms beginning in February 2015.
CTA 20/30 Leadership Team Position Description
· Meet twice a year (at least once in person) to evaluate program, plan programming and outreach, and recommend budget priorities (attendance at the annual in-person meeting is mandatory for acceptance onto the committee);
· Serve on the leadership team for a three-year term.
· Serve on at least one leadership team committee (examples of past committees are conference outreach, conference planning, event planning, marketing);
· Take part in the leadership team and committee conference calls every month (or as scheduled).
· Time commitment: the time involved fluctuates from one hour per week to multiple hours in order to get the job done, particularly as a specific project or the annual conference nears. At a minimum, the time commitment includes one conference call every month with the leadership team and one conference call every month for each committee on which the individual has elected to participate.
Nominees must be in their 20s or 30s, self-identify as Catholic, and be a member of Call To Action and CTA 20/30. Additionally, in keeping with Call To Action’s anti-racism focus and gospel values of justice, CTA 20/30 seeks a team of candidates whose life experiences reflect different perspectives and backgrounds so that as we journey together in community we will better reflect and attend to the diversity of God’s creation.
Find Progressive Catholics Near You
We have point people in Washington, DC, Boston, Chicago and Detroit who have been (or will soon be!) making local events happen for young adult progressive Catholics in those cities – like this great community-building stuff happening in DC. We may know of progressive Catholic communities in other cities, too, with whom we could connect you. Email Charlie to find out what might be happening near you.
- A nationwide listserv networks 250+ young adult progressive Catholics to each other. Click here to sign up.
- The Faith and Families listserv is an additional resource of mutual support among progressive Catholic parents.
- Young Adult Catholics, the 20/30 blog, offers a venue to share reflections by young progressive Catholics.
- Just follow CTA 20/30 on Facebook
- We are hoping to start a young adult online faith-sharing group that will meet monthly via Google Hangout. If you are interested in participating, email Jen.
- Stay connected. Use the form below to sign up to receive e-news from Call To Action.
Meet Up at the Conference
Many young adults gather at the annual Call To Action conference each November. In addition to a full conference agenda of interesting workshops and speakers, we host structured and informal opportunities to meet and network with other young progressive Catholics. There are scholarships available for people in their 20s and 30s who might otherwise not be able to attend.
Volunteer With Us
The 20/30 Leadership Team tries to make all this happen – and more hands are always useful! Whatever your gifts are, we would love your participation. Do you want to lead an online book group for 20/30 folks? Do you want to help make a local progressive Catholic event happen near you? Would you help plan young adult programming at our annual conference? Email Monica to let us know how you might want to support this growing community.